Since March 2020, all FreefallWriting™ Workshops have been offered online.
Although some writers found it hard to believe that the energetic expansion, quality of work, and depth of discussion that characterize Freefall Writing Workshops would be possible on Zoom, all who have taken part report the same high degree of satisfaction with their experience of Freefall on Zoom. Many now say they hope the workshops will continue to be offered online even after COVID protocols are lifted.
I am no novice to Freefall, and also not at all to seminars and workshops on Zoom. But still, it is amazing to me, how well Freefall works online! I am completely blown away by the quality of the writing! And also by how perceptive, insightful and utterly sensitive and respectful the comments are. It is a joy to be here!AD, AUS, Australian workshop online
I think this may be the purest Freefall I’ve ever done.GM, UK, Hawkwood online
On Zoom, I felt I could focus on each piece of writing that was read out more fully and on each person directly as they spoke, without being so focused on others as when they are in a room in person. I found there were fewer distractions as I wrote. Plus, I didn’t have to travel, which saves costs.SP, USA
I have been surprised by how effective the online Freefall retreat has been. I had put the time aside for the residential, so decided to act as if I was away from home, and not to add in any other work type meetings or events. I am so glad I did that, because it has enabled me to keep my focus. The whole experience has been absolutely fabulous. The structure and container has felt solid. The writing has flowed, and the online meetings have been rich and rewarding. In fact, in many ways I prefer doing Freefall online to being away from home.JG, UK
Participants in Freefall Workshops on Zoom report the following:
- Establishing regular writing habits in the “real life” context of home
- Focusing on the writing without social distraction
- Lower cost
- More flexible writing time
- Online meetings that are rich and rewarding
- The same immediate feedback and rapid progress
- The sense of growing skill and capacity, even during a difficult time
The daily debriefing that follows each writing session is conducted in a private Slack Forum, accessible only to the participants in that particular workshop. This new version both gives focus to writers’ impressions of that day’s writing experience and provides a useful reference for the writers, Barbara and the local host (Australia*).
In addition, the Slack Forum provides a place for writers to interact and an easy way to keep in touch beyond the week of the workshop.
* In order for Barbara to work with time-zones in Australia, a local host with extensive Freefall Writing experience leads the daily readings and discussion sessions in the Australia-based Zoom workshops. Barbara meets with the group in person for the first and final sessions, provides written feedback to each person about their work daily, and selects the readings for the local host. This sharing of responsibilities provides new voices through which to hear the writing and fresh, informed perspectives in discussion.
For a full list of upcoming workshops, visit the workshops page.